Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Popsicle Stick Snowman: Winter Craft {Ornament}

I did these as the 2nd grade homeroom mom last year. For real, easy and fun! The kids had a great time...even the boys. You can also make these into ornaments!

Supplies:

Felt- lots of different colors maybe 8-10 sheets total
Popsicle Sticks
White Craft Paint or white spray paint (easier)
Black and Colored Sharpee's
Scissors
Twine, String or Ribbon (if making an ornament)
Hot Glue Gun

Directions:

This took a little bit of prep work, but you could do it the night before and be just fine giving it 20-30 minutes. First I painted about 40 of the popsicle sticks front and back. I realized later it would have taken way less time to spray paint them. Lesson learned just for you! While the paint was drying I cut out scarves and hats from the felt. If you know you are going to make ornaments you can go ahead and either hot glue the loop of twine/string/ribbon on for them, or you can pre-cut them so they can pick later.

When I was at the school I set up a table at the class party and had kids come up two at a time. Each kid would pick a hat, scarf and ornament ribbon. I would hot glue the hat and ornament ribbon on (I have a mini glue gun that doesn't get super hot and it was just me using it). Then each child would draw the face and buttons and tie the scarf on.

This worked for a couple of reasons. The kids really enjoyed getting to make something that was unique. They still got to eat the party food at their desk and talk with one another. By second grade they really just want to talk and relax. I got to spend (even if just for a few minutes) almost one on one time with each student in the class. It was more personal that way! Kids love to have you gush over their choices or talk about who they are going to give it to. Some children really just need someone to pay attention to them. That was my favorite part!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! It means so much to me!